Tuesday, May 6, 2014

What is the most important concept I learned in this class?

This is a tough question to answer since we have covered so much ground in so many topics. If I had to pick a subject in this class, it would be a tie on our sections on masculinity and cartoons. It was very interesting reading Michael Kimmel's book, Manhood in America: A Cultural History, because the history, hows, and whys in manhood today don't seem to have a clear cut definition to them. This made it interesting in learning in the different types of masculinity and how certain ethnicity's deal with being a man as well. Christopher Lehman's book, The Colored Cartoon, was also very interesting. All of the information presented in that book was new to me. I had no idea just how big the roles of blackface and African Americans played in early American cartoons, especially since I remember seeing so many re-runs of the classics. Now I have a complexity different perspective on these shows and can see them in a new way.

No comments:

Post a Comment