Monday, May 5, 2014

Most Important Concept

I think that one of the most important concepts we learned about in American Identities was in the book Whiteness of a Different Color.  I think that this was very important because it taught us about white european immigrants and how they were judged and treated when coming over to the United States for a better life.  A lot of times we never understand the perspective of the european immigrants and how they were treated by the original colonist, but this book helped me understand their perspective equally.  Another important concept that has to do with the overarching theme of the class is the idea of diversity.  Throughout this class we examined multiple texts, with a lot of them dealing with diversity and immigration into the United States.  I think this class definitely taught me how to view culture in a critical framework and gave me a much better understanding about how to view and understand ethnic and cultural studies.

I think that this image sums up almost every topic we have discussed this semester about Diversity and American Studies.


No comments:

Post a Comment