Thursday, May 1, 2014

Most important concept

For me, the most important concept I learned was the notion of contextualizing history in regards to men as gendered individuals. I had never really read anything like Kimmel's book before, and so I gained an important new perspective on cultural and historical studies. Of course, you hear about feminist movements and arguments all the time, but you don't always get the chance to understand important historical events and eras in terms of masculinity and manhood. I actually ended up using Kimmel's argument and ideas in a paper I wrote for another class as well as in some poetry I wrote for my poetry seminar. I feel it's extremely important to get a glimpse of both women's studies and men's studies in terms of identity in America, so this was an excellent unit to cover.

I guess this is what Kimmel argued against in his book, but it's still pretty funny:

No comments:

Post a Comment